Resources for Committee Chairs:
There are a number of ways to promote your events/activities and otherwise communicate with the HW school community:
1. The Item
The Item is sent out every two weeks as an e-Newsletter to all HW families and faculty. Submissions should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see The Item schedule for due dates and publish dates. Any questions should be directed to Erin Donaldson, Vice President for Communications.
2. HW PTO Website (www.hubbardwoods36pto.org).
Ultimately, the PTO website will serve as the main source of information regarding all things related to the PTO. Chairs are welcome to work with the website editor to create a webpage for their respective committees. Your webpage can be used to:
1. Provide information about your committee
2. Promote your committee’s events/activities
3. Solicit volunteers
4. Post images and/or video (we will not list students’ names)
5. Upload any forms that parents need to print
6. Provide links for additional info
Please contact the website editor, Dee Macey or Erin Donaldson Vice President for Communications with any questions related to the website.
You can make posters for your event using your own word processing documents and the poster maker in the Resource Center. Instructions are posted in the RC or ask Todd Burleson for help. You can hang posters on the PTO bulletin board outside of the main office but please get permission from Joan Kuzel before hanging them anywhere else within the school.
4. Outdoor Message Boards
The PTO owns three message boards that may be placed in the carpool lines at the front of the school, Muscleman, and the kindergarten drop-off. Only liquid chalk pens are to be used on the boards; these can be found in the PTO file cabinet in the front office. Please help care for these boards by bringing them back inside when you are finished using them.
5. Flyers in Backpacks
In an effort to be green we try to limit the amount of paper that is sent home but sometimes it really is the best way to get your information out. Anything going home in backpacks needs to be approved by the PTO President and/or Daniel Ryan. Flyers should be given to Joan Kuzel for distribution. When thinking about the timing of your flyers please keep in mind that most teachers send home papers in either a Friday or Monday folder.
Before purchasing supplies for your committee please check the following locations as we may already have what you need! Also, in keeping with the school’s Green Initiatives, please try to use recyclable and reusable products when possible. Liz Kunkle, Chair of the Environment Committee, is a wonderful resource for ideas (and help!) in this area. For instance, last year she worked closely with the Mayfest team to implement a number of sustainability initiatives.
The PTO closet is located in the auditorium’s northeast set of closets. Here you will find paper goods and plastic ware: napkins, plates, cups, utensils, bottled water, etc. We probably have enough napkins for an army. If you use the PTO closet please help us keep it organized and try to label things for future use.
Accessed by the stairs in the west wing near the Kindergarten rooms. Here you will find:
· Mayfest games and supplies
· Rah! Rah! Rah! For Hubbard Woods back-to-school yard signs
· Leftover decorations from parent parties
The custodian will retrieve and hang various committee banners including World Travelers, Teacher Appreciation, Bookfair, Grand Challenge, and Mayfest. Please be sure to give enough advance notice to the custodial staff whom you will find to be exceedingly helpful.
Forms and Official Documents
The following can be found in the PTO Filing Cabinet in the main office:
1. Tax Exempt letter
2. Check Reimbursement form
3. Your Committee Folder
A few notes if your committee handles monetary transactions:
1. Checks should be made payable to “Hubbard Woods PTO”
2. Please do not hold onto checks: Give them to the Assistant Treasurer, Julia Werner, for deposit ASAP. No check should be held longer than 30 days from the time it is dated.
3. If you need to be reimbursed for purchases please submit your receipts and the check reimbursement form to the Treasurer, Amy Boehm, in a timely manner. There is a check request folder in the PTO filing cabinet in the main office. You may also request an electronic copy of the reimbursement form from Georgie Geraghty, PTO President, or from either of the Treasrers. Please note: reimbursements cannot be made after June 30. This is strictly enforced by our tax auditor.
If you use a location within the school for your meetings or programs (Resource Center, auditorium, conference room, etc.) please reserve that space with Lois Peterson. Room requests for events held after regular school hours need to be approved through the district office.
In past years the Hospitality Committee has provided refreshments at certain events. Beginning with the 2013-14 school year, each committee will responsible for providing its own refreshments (water bottles/coffee). Committee budgets have been adjusted as necessary to reflect this change. Check the PTO closet first for bottled water and likewise if you have bottled water leftover from an event please store it in the closet for other committees to use.